Sunday, November 1, 2009

{Halloween}

How could I not post about Halloween? This year it wasn't about the candy. It was about the competition! I'm a huge fan of decorating things and dressing up, and I'm under the impression that the way to do it well is to go over the top.

This year for Halloween I did my stake's trunk-or-treat. That's where you decorate your trunk (works really well for college kids), and then people go around the trunks and get candy. I finally decided to be a sailor this year, so I grabbed a boat that needed to be moved and borrowed it for the evening. If I could do anything different, I would have gotten the boat earlier so that I could put the mast up and string Halloween lights or garland to the top. In any case, I was happy with what I did do.


I made a "night time ocean" backdrop out of butcher paper and used it to disguise the car. Then I filled the area of the trunk closest to me with sand. I lined the boat with tea lights, sat my pumpkins out (one carved like a sailboat and the other like palm trees), and put some Halloween decorations inside the trunk. It was my version of a freezing beach for the night. I know it was a bit of a fire hazard (candles right beside butcher paper) but it was fun. Branden complained for days afterward that his car smelled funny. Really, is autumn spice that funny of a smell? I rather like it.


I ended up winning the "most seaworthy" trunk award, and got to take home Phase 10 (tough decision between that, Jenga, and a blanket) as my prize.




No comments: