Tuesday, November 24, 2009

3. BYU Footbal - third "goal" accomplished




Well, last Saturday was the BYU football game against Airforce. The next game is against Utah, and I was starting to panic when I realized that I hadn't made arrangements to attend either game. I put out a desperate plea on facebook for someone to take me with them, but then I realized that BYU had re-opened sales, and I could buy tickets online.

Well, I found that one of my friends was selling 4th row tickets for the airforce game, and I bit. I think we got there a little late, but after bundling up and walking down the street to the stadium, we found our seats after asking other sto vacate them (I'd feel bad, except that I actually had the seats written on my ticket). It was an awesome view, and I wish that I had a blanket to wrap up in. The game was awesome...when the players were close to us. As I was sitting there, I couldn't help but wish that I had made game-going a habit the whole time I was at BYU. It always takes me a little while to warm up to new situations, and by the end of the game I was thoroughly enjoying it (though I still don't know any of the cheers). In any case, it was fun. As we sat down, we couldn't help but notice that there was a black card taped to our seats. I thought it must have just been an advertisement to Sierra West, and although it was, it gave me the hope that I had won a diamond.
Well, I took it in to Sierra West a few days later to learn that it was indeed just a CZ, but, it did give me $10 off on getting my pearls restrung. I still wish I wouldn't have had to re-string my pearls, but they did a decent job. We left with about 5 minutes on the clock because it was absolutely freezing, and we were so far ahead. It was nice to get this checked off my list of things to do, but it also gave me a lot to think about. As I've spent so much time in Salt Lake recently I can't help but feel like I kind of missed a little of that "college experience." I went to one solitary football game. I never had those best friends who I lived with and would not be caught dead at a social function without. Thinking about all of this made me wish I had considered cheerleading at some point. I guess my idea of the typical college experience is that college is about socializing with friends who spend ridiculous amounts of time together, but I made a small group of friends, that always shrunk as people got married one at a time. But I did get a lot of great friends, and I've loved the experiences that I've been able to have.

I will say though... BYU isn't quite like any other college out there.

No comments: