Saturday, November 7, 2009

New Sailing Chapter




So, my triathlon starts in 10 minutes. And I'm ok with that. This is one goal that has to wait until the spring. I have to admit, given the past two or three weeks, throwing down $40.00 for a triathlon didn't seem like a judicial use of my time OR money.


This past week has been just as crazy as my last few. In the past week or two I planned the entire Commodore's Ball/10 Year Anniversary Gala for the Sailing Club. Let me just say it was insane, but I think it went over really well.


I spent hours designing logos for medals and etching vases to give to the leadership. I also spent some time and designed plaques for Skipper and Mike. I suppose I'm still proud of how those turned out. For dinner, we had grilled rosemary pork chops, rolls, salad, and baked potatoes. Lets just say that when I washed, foiled and stuck 40 potatoes in my oven at once, I was just praying that they'd turn out all right. 4.5 hours later, when people cut them open, the potatoes were steaming and perfect. It was a huge relief.


I had originally wanted linen table cloths and a catered meal--but to do that, we would have had to charge every person who came, and I wasn't a huge fan of that. So I got disposable table cloths, disposable forks and knives, and just about disposable everything. Overall, I think it maintained most of the atmosphere that I had been hoping for.


I think one of the biggest successes was the slideshow that I put together. But overall, I know that I wouldn't have survived without my two best friends: Nicki and Aaron. They really saved the night!
After everything, I ran to the testing center, and did well on a test. Knowing that I hadn't done it yet kept me on the edge of my seat all night.


Oh, and apparently raingutter regatta boats can fly if you have enough balloons!




The sailing club has been my life these past few years. Now I'm thinking that I'm ready to move on, as I'm growing up and graduating. I was ready to hand the leadership over to Isaac. It's been a blast, and it's taken a whole lot out of me. Still, I have to say, Thank You. It has made my life super enjoyable, and really prepared me for the future. Now I can't wait to own my own boat one day so that I can enjoy the water, the wind, and the waves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have been there for this.