Saturday, July 25, 2009

Pioneer Day Camping

Unfortunately none of these pictures are mine. :-(. My camera was full from the Kenny Chesney Concert.

Branden left for Idaho once again on Friday morning. After he left, I stopped by cafe rio for a salad. Unfortunately, I learned that I now prefer the stake over the pork. :-( It wasn't quite up to par with my appetite, so I decided I'd give it to Aaron, kind of as a thanks for his friendship. I ran home and asked him if he wanted the rest of it.Thanks to my desire to bestow half of a delicious Cafe Rio salad, I ended up with an invitation to go camping. I went over to Branden's apartment to make foil dinners with Aaron (oh sooo good). And we shortly headed up Hobble Creek Canyon.

The golf course that we drove past in the canyon.

We had full intentions of camping up the canyon past the campgrounds (after all, it was July 24th, which is a holiday in Utah). We found a decent spot, and sent some scouts farther up. As we explored our "spot" we discovered that the only shade that was there had been turned into latrines. There were holes filled with toilet paper under every tree. It was disgusting. After our scouts came back, we decided to head down to the campground and see what we could get. We stopped at the Balsam Campground, and the manager/ranger/whatever gave us two nice spots.










The boys set up their stuff first, and I, once again, sat around feeling totally out of my element. It was much better after the bulk of the girls arrived. We tried to set up our tent, and the men sat around the fire and took bets as to how long it was going to take us. Once I got word of it, I gave them a piece of my mind. Slowly they started letting hints slip in my direction. After about 45 minutes we got it "set up." I tried to be as nice as I could and ask the guys to double check it for us. It was great knowing that at least three of them had set up a tent just like it before.


As the evening wore on, we had a few more people join us (there were between 15 and 20). It was a blast to sit around the campfire telling jokes and enjoying the company of friends. While I was sitting there that evening, I couldn't help but be thankful for the one man who wasn't there. Spending time with other guys just made me all the more appreciative for my Branden. I guess it just goes to show you that I'm crazy for the man. I'm also so thankful for the first time of what his business trips have given me. They've given me the excuse to go and make new friends. Branden has been asking me to develop my friendships more, but I just wanted to spend time with him. That night and evening I was able to reflect on the wonderful aspects of our relationship and my dear Branden, and it's helped me to realize that I haven't been thankful enough.

In the morning, some of the girls who hadn't slept during the night got up and left at the crack of dawn. Unfortunately they had our coolers in their car. So at around 8:30 we packed up and headed back to civilization to find breakfast.

All in all, the trip was a huge success. It was really very pretty, and it was wonderful to spend time with friends.
P.S. The tinfoil dinner was excellent. Aaron really knows what he's doing. We put spices in our ground beef, and added condensed cream of chicken soup, potatoes, onions, and carrots in the foil. Mmm... I'm still craving more, although I was stuffed that night.

No comments: