Thursday, July 23, 2009

Kenny Chesney

A while ago Branden and I made fitness goals. We made agreements of "prizes" for making them. I don't remember what I agreed to for him, but he agreed to get me tickets to the Kenny Chesney concert if I achieved my goal. Our good intentions lasted about a week. I was a bit disappointed about the disintegration and the lack of prize possibility. The desire to go see Kenny Chesney, however, never died. I found some awesome tickets from KBULL 93.3 (a local country radio station). They were 4 for $99, so we decided it was worth it. (I love my Branden for getting me tickets to my favorite country singer).

On July 23, Branden and I jumped into the car and headed down to the Rio Tinto stadium. We pulled into the gravel parking lot and headed towards the stadium right as Lady Antebellum started singing Branden's current favorite song, "I Run to You." We basically killed time and chatted while the other artists sang. I knew a few songs by one of them, but it wasn't anyone I was familiar with.


Soon Kelly and Ashley joined us, and after 4 bottles of $5 water, Kenny Chesney finally started. Branden and I had a blast. We were dancing and singing, and it's one of those moments that I'll never forget. Branden told me that it was one of the best concerts he'd been to. I'd just about agree. I saw Kenny Chesney last year with my little sister (and I paid more each ticket that time). It was a lot better seeing him at Walnut Creek Amphitheater than in a Stadium with horrible acoustics made for soccer. But, it was also a lot better finally going with Branden.



The concert was perfect until right up at the end. I still don't know if the ending was right. Sugarland had canceled, and so the other bands extended their set. To give you an idea of how long it was, the concert started at 5:30 and ended at 10:40. The band started playing some classic songs, and Kenny let his various band members playing. He did that last year, so I didn't mind so much. But, then the band started on this huge instrumental thing. And when I say huge, I mean there was no singing or talking, and it lasted for about 9 minutes. Last year, he said good bye, gave us an encore, and then said goodbye for real. But his year, the audience started leaving during the instrumental thing! There was not even a single goodnight from Kenny, and I don't know if it was planned, or just a horrible sequence of events. It was still an awesome concert, but now, more than anything, I'm confused about the end.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have done a great job on your blog!