Monday, July 29, 2013

Woman's Work

My first zucchini has grown today, and we ate the first cherry tomatoes on Sunday. Unfortunately, I realized that I had neglected to take a photo after it was dark and the sprinklers were on. Still, there's just something about putting work into the garden that is so satisfying.

Tonight we ate steaks marinated in that yummy marinade I posted a few weeks ago. It is great for cheap meat! I put together a salad from yesterday's leftovers and Branden pulled some herbs from the garden.
After dinner, I ran some errands, preparing for the cupcakes I plan to make later this week, and prepping for fall by buying a cute pair of flats.

When I got home, I made some wheat-free cheese crackers. I now like them better than three store bought variety. Not to mention they have no preservatives, and don't last four a year and a half..... I mean, can you really call something that lasts that long food?

Now I'm tired and just remembered that I forgot to put the yogurt in the fridge. I unloaded and loaded the dishwasher, but my kitchen's still a disaster. We have guests coming over tomorrow, so I need to find a time to at least hide the mess. And to think, today's my kitchen cleaning day. Why is it so hard to stick to a schedule?

I'm sure that part of it is that I bring work home with me almost every day. It's tough getting it all done before Branden's ready to take me home. Today before I left, I heard someone at work say that she's a better mom because she works. She went on to explain that her children know what a woman's capable of. I don't think you need to have a career to teach your kids that. I think you can do it by teaching them heard work, and feeding them, and by leading by example as you love them. But then again, maybe I never doubted that a woman can do anything because my mom taught me that, and she worked before me. Today she may not be the person I turn to for ironing advice, and while I know I took her for granted when I was young, she did teach me how to care for a family while working. And I'm thankful for that! I just hope I can figure out how to give my family everything want then to have.





No comments: