Sunday, July 7, 2013

Carolina BBQ (Pulled Pork)

One of the things I miss most from home is Eastern North Carolina Barbecue. There's nothing quite like it, and I'm always looking for the right sauce. Therefore, you can expect to find many renditions below. Last time I was in NC, I did find out form my favorite BBQ restaurant that they cook the meat with no sauce first, shred it, and then pour their delicious sauce over it. 

Sauce
Ingredients:
1 C White Vinegar
1 C Cider Vinegar
1 T Brown Sugar
2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
2 tsp Tobasco Sauce
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp Black Pepper

Combine all ingredients in a jar, shake, and store for 2 days - 2 months prior to using. I usually make a few batches and leave them in the fridge until I am ready to use them.

Pulled Pork

  1. Place a pork shoulder in a crock-pot, or other slow cooker, with fat-side up 
  2. Lightly Salt
  3. Pour in 1/4 cup water
  4. Cook for 6-8 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low
  5. Remove pork from slow cooker, discard juices, fat, bone, etc. and shred
  6. Mix with sauce and serve on a plate or as a sandwich on a bun


No comments: