Saturday, August 15, 2009

Finally!

As I sit here in my living room, winding down and waiting I can't help but feel a sense of relief.
Finally.
I have finally found my camera charger. That means, more blog posts.
I have finally painted my living room decor to match.
I finally feel done with my living room decorating project (though decorating a living room will never come to a complete end).
I finally feel like my living room is part of a home.

My living room project started when I finally got fed-up with having blank walls. We had two couches against adjacent walls, and one wall that had my keyboard, my bookshelf, and a giant tv. It felt like a box. I started collecting a few odds and ends for the walls. But, my project kept expanding.

When one of my roommates moved out she took her DVDs with her, and my bookshelf was left barren. I spent hours online trying to figure out a style that I liked, but I knew that I wanted something aesthetically pleasing as a focal point in my living room. Here is a result. I got it a way that I liked even better than this, but now we actually use the TV in it, and it's not quite the same.



One night around final exams I went out for the evening with my books spread all over the living room. I promised my amazingly patient roommate that I would have them cleaned up before I went to bed. I hate making other people feel uncomfortable, and I LOVE having a clean, neat, and organized space. Well, when I got home, she had moved the couches so that they sit diagonally against the walls. It made the space so much more cozy and draws the eye straight to the middle of the room. It's like it says "Come on in" to everyone who walks through the door. I just about cried. She had picked up my junk and put it in a neat pile, and the room was homey. I later moved everything else, and somehow, the room took on a feeling similar to the one I had in my great-grandma's house. It's not a bad feeling, and although I'm not 100% satisfied or 100% done with the room, it finally feels like a true home to me. Maybe it's just changing what we were given and being a bit rebellious. Who knows?

Here are a few pictures. There's a little bit of junk sitting around because I got too excited about taking pictures to wait.

Dollar Tree: Black picture frames, glass vases and cubes,
wine glasses, twigs, pebbles, flickering electric tea candles

Walmart: Baskets, easel, double picture frame, and candle.
IKEA: Sailboat post cards
Deseret Industries: Small Clock
(It's always on 5:00 because I haven't fixed it yet)



Looking towards the balcony


Sailboat print from Walmart


I think this wall still needs a lot of help. At the very least the shelves
need to be a little closer together.

Clock from Walmart, floating shelves from DI.



I got the key hook from Walmart and painted it black and antiqued it.
I covered the bulletin board in black damask fabric and I painted and antiqued the frame.

(The fabric was "Dandy Damask" by Michael Miller. I got the remnant for an amazing price through Ebay. I have to say that this vendor was amazing and she even gave me combined shipping rates although I didn't understand the instructions. I'd recommend this lady to ANYONE! http://myworld.ebay.com/emeraldcityfabricandcraft/)


So, what do you think? Let me know if you have any suggestions.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

It is adorable Elizabeth! It's hard decorating on a budget, especially for someone who is as busy as you are.

Anonymous said...

It looks great!!!!!!!!