Thursday, April 29, 2010

Good News

Last week, while at a friend's baseball game, I received a somewhat devastating phone call. My new manager called me to tell me that while the company has been receiving negative press, this will not be affecting my offer -- not that I hoped it would -- this was the good news. The bad news came in the form of finding out that while I was expecting to start work on May 3 (next Monday), my team was based in New York, and wouldn't be here until mid July. This would mean that I would have to find another interim job. As much as that disappointed me, I was happy to know that my manager will be one of the ladies who interviewed me, and I think that she is absolutely awesome. I can't wait to start work with her.

So, I had begun to start looking for a temp job, ceased the apartment/house hunt, and decided to settle here until the end of the summer. It just seemed a little strange to me that I was going to be staying put for another four months, especially when I had felt so strongly that I would not be here all summer. BUT then again... my apartment complex has an amazing pool, and no one can deny the joy at being told that you will get to play at the pool your last summer of school. And like I had begun the job hunt, I began the pool prep (workouts, shaving cream, new swimsuits, anti-cellulite lotion (I'll let you know if it works)).

The day after I got my new summer supplies squared away I got a phone call. It turned out to be my HR correspondent, and while I expected nothing other than a confirmation that I wouldn't be starting until July, he told me that my team is interested in having me come out to New York for training. Standard company-wide training is in New York in mid-July. So I knew that I'd be heading out there, but as the conversation continued, he told me that they were interested in having me come out to New York in mid-May. After looking over my schedule, we decided on May 10th as a start date.

I still have to wait a few days until we get my flights and housing set up, but I think I've been smiling for two days straight. I'm going to get to be in New York City for about three months for training. I am so excited. I know that the apartments for company-wide training are located in Manhattan, and I can't wait to find out where I'll be working and living. It kind of feels like something from a movie.

No comments: