Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Thank You

Who would have ever thought that a day where I got exposed to the flu, locked out of my house, and hit by a car would still be a great day?

This morning I started my day off by waking up and cleaning up my room. I don't know what came over me, but I finally actually took the task seriously, and got it back up to my regular standards. (Yay for getting over my funk!) After that I ran to the grocery store so that I could bring Amy some of the essentials for someone who might have the flu. You know, crackers, nyquil and dayquil, ginger ale, orange juice, and milk (her favorite, though I'm not too sure it helps with the flu).

I set her up with the phone number for two local doctors, and then I headed home to prep for my interview. It was probably one of the biggest ones that I've had, and I was really excited. When I came home I grabbed some of the blankets and camping stuff that I had left in my car, but when I got to my door, I realized that I didn't have my house key. Oops. That was the first time that that's happened. After making a humbling run to the office, I finally got in, cleaned more some stuff out of my car, did a quick 8 minute Tae Bo workout, and then started to get dressed. An hour and a half later, I was looking professional and armed with new knowledge about the firm, and I ran out the door (entirely on time).

I pulled up to the ominous building. It didn't say the name of the company on the side. In fact, it didn't even have a building name or number on it, so I was praying that I had found the right place on my drive on Sunday. Once I walked in, the secretary had me sign in, and I was sent up to the office. I stepped out of the elevators, and I felt a little flood of relief. It was what I was expecting.

I went through two interviews each with two people interviewing me. This was the second interview with this company, and I really felt like I did better this time. While I was driving there, my mom was talking to me on the phone, asking me the toughest interview questions she could come up with. It was a great warm-up, but I really hope that no interviewer ever asks me what my greatest disappointment in life is. (Really, who pays attention to and remembers all of their disappointments?)

An hour later I headed back home, and to my lovely surprise, I was stopped at a stoplight (2 down from my apartment) when I was rear ended. I'm still not exactly sure how it happened. Either it was a double hit, or I heard when a car hit the car behind me and I braced for the impact. Foot on the break, head back against the headrest. Now I'm waiting and watching to make sure that my head, back, or neck don't hurt. So far, I'm doing pretty good, and I'm so thankful that my car is still drivable.

My day "ended" with a sailing club meeting (though I was a half an hour late). It's my last meeting as Commodore. I guess you could say it's a little bittersweet, because it was being Commodore that allowed me to beef up my resume and really show interviewers and recruiters what I'm made of.

Now the task at hand is to sit down and formulate some thank you letters. I'm not entirely sure how to do that, but I can't help but have a huge grin on my face. I'm thankful to the recruiters for their time. I'm thankful for the opportunity I had to interview today. I'm thankful that the accident happened after the interview, and not before it. I'm thankful neither I nor my car was hurt worse. I'm thankful for my sailing club. And now, as I get ready for bed, it's time for me to settle down and really remember that none of this is mine, I owe it all to God.
And that one's for you!

1 comment:

Raquel said...

Oh my goodness, crazy day! I'm glad that your interviews went well. Keep me posted!!