Thursday, October 29, 2009

Pumpkins

"That the days of thy lot may be lengthened below,
And the fame of thy worth like a pumpkin-vine grow."



Today was more than I expected. A few days ago as I was driving home from Branden's office, I decided to text in for a radio competition. They sent me a text back saying that I was one of their favorite entries. I wasn't sure what that meant. Well, a few minutes later, they sent me a text telling me to call back in ten minutes. So I did. I'd never won anything before, but at the same time, I didn't really understand what I had signed up for. I really wanted to win the Wii, so it was all worth it.

This morning I woke up and took Amy to the doctor. Turns out she has swine flu. So yea, I've been totally exposed. I did this while trying to get ready for the big pumpkin drop (the radio contest). I drove up to Trolley Square later than I had hoped. I wasn't sure where to sign in at or what to expect, and I was still secretly hoping that I had already won the Wii. Turns out, I had to drop a pumpkin off of the water tower and get it in the "sunroof" of a car.


Here's a video. I make an appearance at 1:21 and my glory moment was at 1:32


Well, I wasn't even close, as you can see from the video (I got both the video and the slide show off of the K Bull 93 website). But it was fun to get dressed up, I got two tickets to New Moon (I don't really do movies made from books that I have read), and they gave me a Pumpkin! It's great. I just wish my morning wouldn't have been so crammed and I would have been able to bring a friend. Oh well.

Once it became apparent that there was no way I could get Amy's prescription filled, get back home, change, and then take the prescription and Gatorade to her before my class started, I decided to make an IKEA stop. (even in a costume it was worth it, though honestly, I wanted to get a bunch of tea lights for my pumpkins, because they are cheaper at IKEA). Whenever I'm on that section of highway, I stop at IKEA and go straight to the AS IS section . That is where they put anything that has been on display or damaged. I got a big circle mirror, two large picture frames, a set of plates, and a pottery jug. I'm very tempted to go back there this morning to get a few more plates. They remind me of home a little bit, and I think they'll fit pretty well with my old plates that I have so that when I feed people, I can do it on nice dishes.


Anyway, I've already made a few changes to my purchases. I painted the jug black, because I thought it'd fit in my entertainment bookshelf better that way. Not so much. I'm going to try brown next, and then a cream. My pride and joy, however, is the mirror. I like to do a little shabby chic. I don't know how well I do that, but the round mirror with a beveled edge and no frame wasn't exactly my style. As I was checking out my mind was spinning. I decided to go with an etched monogram, and I'm still considering adding a few embellishments.

What do you think?


Anyway, I didn't get home until around 5 or 6, and I spent the evening doing a little bit of homework, working on my "projects," and taking care of Amy. Overall, I'd say it was a very busy day. When I was thinking about everything that has gone on in the past two weeks, I can hardly believe it. I interviewed with two different companies. Then I scheduled an interview with another. I found and bought a nice suit (that took all weekend). I had my interview, I heard back about that interview, I had a second interview with that company, I drove to Salt Lake 3 or 4 times, I taught two sailing lessons, I held Sailing Club meetings, I took midterms, I got hit by a car, I got exposed to the swine flu, I dropped two pumpkins off of a water tower, and I got some awesome stuff from IKEA. Now I just have to re-focus on school.

Anyway, you can checkout the TV spot at Fox 13's website (and don't forget to click the related links). I don't think I'm really even on it for more than a second. I was too busy signing in.
http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-k-bull-93-hosts-pumpkin-drop-trolley-square,0,5888413.story







The opening quote is from "The Pumpkin" by John Greenleaf Whittier

1 comment:

Morgan said...

Are you like some secret angel in disguise? Seriously...sometimes you flabbergast me.