Sunday, January 29, 2012

Budgets

Thanks to budgeting, we have some big news coming up next month. We've been able to cut our day-to-day spending in order to set (and meet) some goals.

After we got married, I was amazed at how easy it was to spend every last penny we made (and no, the information above is not mine, I wish it were). We weren't getting any closer to coming up with an emergency fund, and we were only making minimum payments on our student loans.

To be honest, I don't think I could have done it without mint.com. Their site is really user friendly, and allows me to keep up with pending and posted income and expenditures. It was a fun game trying to make sure that our net income met certain goals each week.

Here's our schedule
January - save up for big news and save up for half of our small emergency fund
February - save up even more for big news and other half of small emergency fund (while also paying to have my car fixed).
March to May - pay off small student loan
May 2012 to May 2013 - pay off big student loan


We stayed on track in January, and hopefully we'll be able to do even better in February! I'll let you know!

2 comments:

Morgan said...

I hope this "big news" is the big news I already know about and not some other big news...

That said, this mint.com thing is very interesting to me. I'd like to give it a try, but the fact that it links to your bank account and any mint.com employee can access said bank account, it makes me nervous. What made you decide it was secure enough for you?

Kuddos on the budgeting by the way!

Elizabeth said...

Yes, the big news is what you know.

I was iffy on Mint at first too, and Papaw said that his bank actually recommended it. Mint does not store any of your other personal information (name, address, phone number, etc.), so that made me feel a little better. I initially just planned to check it out, but now I couldn't live without it. It is what helped me pay off all of my student loans my first year working.

I believe you can manually add information without linking accounts, so you could use it that way, but I love the real-time information no matter where I am.