Thursday, March 19, 2009

Cats (and things....)

So, I wish I would have brought my journal. I'm just in a reflective mood. I guess that's what 4 hour plane rides can do to you. I'm sitting in my Mom's bonus room, listening to one cat breathe, and trying to convince the other one that it's worth it to join me on the couch. I guess they remember me. Otherwise they would be hiding, instead of ignoring me.




I guess you know that you really have separated from your childhood when you go to visit your parent(s), but can't sleep because you're not home. Or when you look in the fridge, and realize that you don't know what to eat, because you don't know what belongs to whom, or what is designated for some higher purpose.

I have to say, I'm so thankful that I have a place where I feel at home. I know that graduation (high school and college) is coming up, and that means a lot of changes. It's a tough time. Or at least it was for me. I recall having felt homeless for a while. I had a place to live, and eat, and sleep, of course, but I didn't feel at home. So, for anyone who feels this way, my advice would be: give it time and make it your own. Get to know your roommates. Do little things for them as a surprise (ex. dishes), and don't hold back from decorating your space b/c even though you won't be living there forever, it's nice to see it's yours.

1 comment:

Raquel said...

You are so insightful! I like your advice, I hope the end of the semester is good for you, and let's get together again sometime soon :)